FLAS Scholarships – Foreign Language and Area Studies
Deadline: February 1
This program provides academic year and summer fellowships to institutions of higher education to assist graduate students in foreign language and either area or international studies. The goals of the fellowship program include: (1) to assist in the development of knowledge, resources, and trained personnel for modern foreign language and area/international studies; (2) to stimulate the attainment of foreign language acquisition and fluency; and (3) to develop a pool of international experts to meet national needs.
Eligible Participants: A student is eligible to receive a fellowship if he or she:
- Is a graduate student.
- Is a citizen, national or permanent resident of the United States.
- Is enrolled in a program of modern foreign language training in a language for which the institution has developed or is developing performance-based instruction.
- Shows potential for high academic achievement based on such indices as grade point average, class ranking, or similar measures that the institution may determine.
Before awarding a fellowship for use outside the United States, an institution must obtain approval from the U.S. Department of Education. A fellowship may be approved for use outside the United States if:
- The student is enrolled in an advanced overseas modern foreign language program approved by the institution at which the student is enrolled in the United States; or
- The student is engaged in research that cannot be effectively done in the United States and is affiliated with an institution of higher education or other appropriate organization in the host country.
Duration: An institution may award a fellowship to a student for one academic year or one summer session if the summer session is the equivalent of one academic year of modern foreign language study.
This scholarship is funded through the United States Department of Education. For more information on the scholarship, go to: http://www.ed.gov/programs/iegpsflasf/index.html
For information regarding FLAS Scholarships from UC Berkeley, visit the website.