Notre Dame Cushwa Center Research Travel Grants
Deadline: December 31
Grants of up to $2000.00 to help defray travel and lodging costs are made to scholars of any academic discipline who are engaged in projects which require substantial use of the collection of the library and/or the archives of the University of Notre Dame. The library collection is particularly rich in the following areas: Catholic newspapers, history of midwestern Catholicism, Catholic literature, and history of Catholicism in the United States. Manuscripts of historical personages, records of twentieth century Catholic organizations, reports of European missionary societies, and much more material related to the American Catholic community are held in the archives.
Grants to help defray travel and lodging costs are made to scholars of any academic discipline who are engaged in projects which require substantial use of the collections of the library and the archives. Research projects must be related to the study of American Catholicism. Applicants should indicate as specifically as possible how the use of the Notre Dame library and archives are pertinent to this study.
Recipients of grants will be requested to:
1) supply the Center with a short report on the results of their research, 2) acknowledge the grant provided by the Center in all publications which result from this research, 3) provide the Center with one copy of any publication resulting in whole, or in part, from the grant.
A complete application must include one copy of the following:
- Application form (also available from the Cushwa Center office)
- Current curriculum vitae
- 1,000 word description of the project you wish to undertake at the Center
- Proposed budget estimating travel, lodging, and research expenses
- Two letters of recommendation from two people who know your work. These letter of recommendation should be sent directly to the Cushwa Center.
Applicants should describe the relevance of the project for American Catholic studies, indicate the specific resources of interest at Notre Dame, and specify any plans for publication of the project.
Send completed application to:
Cushwa Center for the Study of American Catholicism
University of Notre Dame
1135 Flanner Hall
Notre Dame, IN 46556-5611
Click here for more information.